Origin of the surname
The surname Poulton was probably given to individuals who came from the one of the many villages in Britain that are named Poulton. The word is simply the combining of the two Old English words Pol and Tun meaning Pool and Settlement or Enclosure (i.e. 'settlement by the pool').
Spelling variations include: Poulton, Poolton, Pulton, Pullton, Polton, Pouleton and many more.
The name was first found in Cheshire where they were anciently seated at Poulton cum Spital cum Seacombe, just west of Birkenhead.
Places with the name of Poulton are referred to in the Doomsday Book. They are variously Pontone; Pulton; Poltone; Poltun; Poltune.
The list of Poulton towns and villages includes:-
- POULTON-le-Fylde near Blackpool in Lancashire
- POULTON-le-Sands, now part of Morecambe in Lancashire
- POULTON near Liverpool, Cheshire
- POULTON cum Seacombe, now part of Wallasey in Cheshire
- POULTON cum Spital, now part of Bromborough in Cheshire
- POULTON Lancelyn, a hamlet in Poulton cum Spital
- POULTON a hamlet in Pulford near Chester in Cheshire
- POULTON a hamlet of Asterley in Shropshire
- POULTON now part of Awre in Gloucestershire
- POULTON near Cirencester in Gloucestershire
- POULTON Priory in Gloucestershire
- POULTON an ancient village, now part of Mildenhall near Marlborough in Wiltshire
- POULTON Wood in Aldington, near Ashford in Kent
- POULTON a village near Deal in Kent, which declined after the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the early 16th Century
- POLTON near Edinburgh in Midlothian in Scotland There are also over 3000 deserted medieval villages, some of these may have been called POULTON
The earliest named Poultons are:-
- William de Polton from Staffordshire in 1200
- Walter de Pulton from Gloucestershire in 1259
- John Polton from Sussex in 1327
- Robert de Pulton rector of Little Hampden Church, Buckinghamshire in 1377
- Giles Polton (b.1460) of Desborough, Northamptonshire. - Daughter Anne Poulton born in 1486
- William Powlton from Wiltshire in 1576
- Ferdinando Poulton (1536-1618) a lawyer who lived in Buckingham in 1600
- George & Simon Poulton of Sheepy Magna, Leicestershire in 1621
John Poulton was born in 1830 at Preston in the English County of Lancashire. Little is known of his family or childhood but, like many young men in this region, he went down the mines at an early age. He married Elizabeth Clarkson on 1 May 1854 at Lancashire and they had a son, John, in 1858.
Their son was still in nappies when John and Elizabeth decided to leave England and emigrate to Australia. This was a decision made by numerous young couples in the area in the 1850s. No doubt the unhealthy and dangerous nature of the miner's work was a significant factor in their decision. The fact that their first child (before John junior) had died young would also have been an important factor.
The young couple emigrated from Liverpool on 13 November 1859 aboard Fitzjames. It was, however, a tragic journey due to the death of their young toddler en route to Sydney. It must have been a heavy burden for both parents to bear, particularly Elizabeth who was in the advanced stages of pregnancy.
The lonely couple arrived in Sydney on 20 February 1860 and soon found lodgings in Botany Road, Redfern where their daughter, Alice Clarkson Poulton, was born six weeks later.
John died at Coonamble Hospital on on 5 September 1884 of acute inflammation of both lungs. He was just 54 years old and, most probably, a victim of the coal dust inhaled during the years spent down a Lancashire mine.
Our Poulton ancestors include:
Poulton storiesThe following Poulton family stories are published on this website.
- 1860 - The clan keeper - Jim Fleming's Croker Prize essay about Alice Clarkson Poulton (1860-1927)
Poulton clanOur Poulton clan descends from John Poulton (c1830-1887).
(c __/__/1830 - 05/09/1887)
(c __/__/1834 - 01/05/1854 - b __/__/1884)
(c __/__/1858 - c __/__/1860)
(23/03/1860 - 27/11/1927)
(23/06/1853 - 20/10/1878 - 08/01/1902)
(25/07/1879 - c __/__/1880)
(28/12/1880 - b 27/11/1927)
(16/09/1882 - 14/04/1912)
(27/12/1880 - 18/10/1905 - 11/12/1949)
(c __/__/1906 - )
(c __/__/1906 - )
(01/10/1928 - )
(c __/__/1934 - c __/__/1952)
(26/07/1930 - 01/11/2011)
(03/07/1942 - 17/03/1979)
(06/09/1908 - 16/10/1995)
(01/04/1905 - 29/10/1928 - 11/12/1981)
(31/03/1930 - 28/08/2014)
(c __/__/1932 - c __/__/1953 - c __/__/1971)
(09/08/1945 - c __/__/1970 - 15/06/2013)
(06/02/1934 - 06/10/2005)
(07/09/1929 - 01/03/1955 - 15/08/2016)
(01/06/1911 - )
(01/09/1908 - )
(c __/__/1934 - c __/__/1995)
(04/12/1884 - a 27/11/1927)
(__/12/1933 - 21/08/2008)
(c __/__/1911 - )
(c __/__/1909 - b 17/03/1939)
(10/08/1887 - c __/__/1967)
(c __/__/1885 - __/__/1910)
( - __/__/1967)
(__/__/1910 - __/__/1979)
(b __/__/1929 - __/__/1929)
(14/11/1889 - 05/03/1940)
(c __/__/1917 - 13/05/1938)
(c __/__/1922 - )
(25/12/1891 - a 27/11/1927)
(c __/__/1915 - )
(__/__/1917 - __/__/1978)
(__/__/1927 - __/__/1927)
(__/__/1936 - __/__/1970)
(22/05/1893 - b 27/11/1927)
(29/11/1895 - b __/__/1897)
(21/03/1897 - a 27/11/1927)
(06/02/1899 - a 27/11/1927)
(c __/__/1900 - c __/__/1985)
(c __/__/1935 - c __/__/1988)
(04/11/1900 - a 27/11/1927)