Mary Jane Press
(1867 - 1951)
Detailed biographyFor a detailed biography of Mary Jane Press click here.
BirthMary was born on 24 October 1867 in Rockley, AustraliaG. Her parents (David and Susannah) had difficulty deciding on a name for their new daughter. It wasn't until after her birth was registered (on 10 December) that the names 'Mary Jane' were decided on!.1,2,3,4,5 She was the daughter of David Press and Susannah Baker.3,4,5,6 As of 22 April 1890 her married name was Kessey.7
Family surnameFor more information about the Press surname click here.
DeathShe died at age 83 on 5 March 1951 in 2 Simpson Ave, Consiton, AustraliaG. The official cause of death was cerebral anoxaemia, pernicious anaemia.3,8 Her body was interred on 7 March 1951 in Roman Catholic, Wollongong, AustraliaG. During Mary Jane Kessey's funeral at the Catholic Church in Wollongong, her daughter (Beatrice Martin), collapsed and died. Mary Jane's funeral was postponed to the next day (7 March). They are buried in adjoining graves (with Beatrice's husband, Dal Martin, buried between them)9.3,8
MarriageShe married James Kessey on 22 April 1890 in Rockley, AustraliaG. They were married at St Patrick's Catholic Church, Rockley.7,10,6 Mary was divorced from James Kessey on 14 August 1915 in AustraliaG. They remarried each other a few years later.10 She married James Kessey on 23 January 1923 in Dubbo, AustraliaG. The marriage was carried out according to the rites of the Church of England even though both were Catholic.2
Children of Mary Jane Press and James Kessey
- (?) Kessey
- Mary Grace Kessey+ (1891 - 1941)
- James Harold Kessey+ (1893 - )
- Beatrice S Kessey+ (1895 - 1951)
- Emily Bernadette Kessey+ (1896 - )
- Philomena E Kessey+ (1898 - )
- Joseph Aloysius Kessey+ (1899 - )
- John Horace P Kessey+ (1902 - )
- Halvar Roy Kessey+7,11 (1905 - 1981)
- Jean Alice Columbia Kessey+ (1907 - )
- Hilton David Kessey (1909 - )
Life event details
- [S70] Baptism Certificate for Mary Jane Press, 6313/1867, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 10 December 1867.
- [S314] Marriage Certificate for James Kessey and Mary Jane Kessey (Press), Number 1923/003952, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 23 Jan 1923.
- [S43] Death Certificate for Mary Jane Kessey, 957/1951, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 5 March 1951.
- [S200] Death Certificate for Susan Press, 15520/1907, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 16 Oct 1907.
- [S203] Death Certificate for David Press, 12610/1918, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 31 Aug 1918.
- [S212] Research Report, Hanrahan-Hogan Descendants Chart, unknown author, Fleming Family History Archive held by Jim Fleming.
- [S226] Birth Certificate for Halvar Roy Kessey, 17192/1905, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 6 May 1905.
- [S155] Kessey Gravestones x 3 Photograph, Fleming Family History Archive held by Jim Fleming, Cammeray, Australia.
- Information about Mary Jane Kessey's funeral supplied by her daughter-in-law, Ena Kessey who attended the funeral
- [S149] Marriage Certificate for James Kessey and Mary Jane Press, Number 4634, Volume 1890, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 22 April 1890.
- [S205] MC for Halvar Roy Kessey and Ena Ruby Murphy, Number 019996, Volume 1928, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 29 Oct 1928.
|James Kessey's descendants|
Family forebears chart
Thomas Casey's descendants
Daniel Press's descendants
William Baker's descendants