(1846 - 1940)
BirthPrudence was born on 3 July 1846 in Kent Street, Sydney, AustraliaG.1,2,3,4,5 She was the daughter of James Reed and Frances Heazel.1,4 She was baptised on 30 August 1846 in St Andrews, Sydney, AustraliaG. Robert Luxford's "Reed Family History" mentions "another baptismal record - Prudence, August 1846 (born July). (Her father)r had become a constable in Kent Street. Previously the babies were baptised in St James or St Philip's church, the two nearest the Barracks. Prudence was baptised at St Andrews which suggests that James was stationed at the watch immediately behind the still incomplete cathedral.".2,3 As of 28 April 1863 her married name was Whye.1,6 As of 18 May 1879 her married name was Murphy.7,1,8
DeathShe died at age 94 on 29 October 1940 in 19 Fernhill Street, Hurlstone Park, AustraliaG.1 Her body was interred on 30 October 1940 in C of E, Randwick, AustraliaG. The undertaker was Arthur Ernest Walters of the firm Walters & Son.1
MarriageShe married Joseph Whye on 28 April 1863 in Bourke, AustraliaG.1,6 She married James Murphy on 18 May 1879 in Gongolgon, AustraliaG. He was a 33 year old bachelor from Ireland; she a 33 year old widow from Sydney. Both lived in Gongolgon. His father was a farmer; hers a publican. Best man, William Johnson, signed with a mark. Bridesmaid was Prudence's daughter from her first marriage, Frances Whye (aged 15).7,1,8
Children of Prudence Reed and Joseph Whye
Children of Prudence Reed and James Murphy
Life event details
- [S39] Death Certificate for Prudence Murphy, 526/1940, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 30 October 1940.
- [S50] Research Report, Reed Family History, Robert Luxford, 1986, Fleming Family History Archive held by Jim Fleming, A19860000.
- [S68] Baptism Certificate for Prudence Reed, Vol 31, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 30 August 1846.
- [S152] Death Certificate for Frances Heazel, 4274/1895, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 8 April 1895.
- [S220] Oral History provided by Ena Ruby Murphy to Halvene Therese Kessey, 1983. Fleming Family History Archive held by Jim Fleming.
- [S389] Various authors, History of Bourke.
- [S102] Marriage Certificate for James Murphy and Prudence Whye nee Reed, Number 2580 (250), Volume 1879, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 18 May 1879.
- [S222] Book chapter, "James Murphy, Esquire" in Australian Men of Mark, Vol. 2, Series 2.
- [S103] Birth Certificate for George Charles Reed Murphy, 11867/1880, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 11 February 1881.
- [S312] Marriage Certificate for George Charles Reed Murphy and Ellen Ruby Bowen, Number 009105, Volume 1905, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 18 October 1905.
- [S309] Marriage Cerificate for George Charles Reed Murphy and Isobel Cox, Number 2177 677, Volume 1918, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, Queensland, Australia, 2 Jul 1918.
- [S308] Death Certificate for George Charles Reed Murphy, 1949/4538 3165, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, Queensland, Australia, unknown file date.
- [S218] Research Report, BDM information, Bruce Fleming, Fleming Family History Archive held by Jim Fleming, A20000101.
- [S40] Whye headstones Photo, Fleming Family History Archive held by Jim Fleming, Cammeray, Australia.
|Family forebears chart|
John Murphy's descendants