(circa 1810 - 1898)
BirthJames was born circa 1810 in Trentham, EnglandG. A letter from the Regimental Secretary of the Staffordshire Regiment (successor to the 80th) states:- "No. 665 James REED enlisted in the 80th Regiment on 11th June, 1827 at the age of 17. The record shows he was a brickmaker and had been born at Trentham in the parish of Stone, Staffordshire".1,2 He was the son of Thomas Reed.1,2
DeathHe died on 30 January 1898 in North Bourke, Bourke, AustraliaG. The official cause of death was senile decay. "In their later years, (James and Frances Reed) lived with their daughter Sarah Ann and her husband Michael Brennan in North Bourke. The Brennan's fourth daughter Isabella was said to be the first white child born at North Bourke, in 1869. Frances died in April 1895 and James in January 1898, aged 88 and leaving, it was reported, nine surviving children, 'held in high esteem', 86 grandchildren and over 40 great grandchildren."1,2 His body was interred on 31 January 1898 in Bourke cemetery, central eastern side, Bourke, AustraliaG.2
Children of James Reed and Frances Heazel
- (?) Reed3 ( - before 1895)
- Ann Reed3 (1830 - before 1895)
- John Benjamin Reed+ (1832 - before 1895)
- James Reed3 (circa 1835 - )
- Alexander Reed3 (1837 - )
- Eliza Emily Tobin Reed3 (1841 - )
- Sarah Ann Reed (1844 - )
- Prudence Reed+7,3 (1846 - 1940)
- Frances Reed+3 (1848 - )
- George Charles Reed3 (1850 - )
- Mary Ann Reed3 (1852 - )
- Jane Reed3 (1856 - )
Life event details
- [S50] Research Report, Reed Family History, Robert Luxford, 1986, Fleming Family History Archive held by Jim Fleming, A19860000.
- [S73] Death Certificate for James Reed, 5/1898, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 31 January 1898.
- [S152] Death Certificate for Frances Heazel, 4274/1895, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 8 April 1895.
- [S131] "Surgeons Journal, Earl Grey 1837," MS, 1837; Archives Office of NSW.
- [S102] Marriage Certificate for James Murphy and Prudence Whye nee Reed, Number 2580 (250), Volume 1879, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 18 May 1879.
- [S68] Baptism Certificate for Prudence Reed, Vol 31, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 30 August 1846.
- [S39] Death Certificate for Prudence Murphy, 526/1940, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 30 October 1940.
- [S389] Various authors, History of Bourke.
|Family forebears chart|