(1812 - 1895)
BirthFrances was born in 1812 in Canterbury, EnglandG. According to Luxford's "Reed Family History", "Frances was the daughter of Sergeant Major Benjamin Heazel and his wife Elizabeth, and was born at Canterbury in 1812".1,2 She was the daughter of Sergeant Major Benjamin Heazel and Elizabeth Wilson.1,2 As of circa 1830 her married name was Reed.1,3,2
DeathShe died on 5 April 1895 in Bourke, AustraliaG. The official cause of death was apoplexy. Luxford writes in "Reed Family History", "In their later years, (James and Frances Reed) lived with their daughter Sarah Ann and her husband Michael Brennan in North Bourke. The Brennan's fourth daughter Isabella was said to be the first white child born at North Bourke, in 1869. Frances died in April 1895 and James in January 1898, aged 88 and leaving, it was reported, nine surviving children, 'held in high esteem', 86 grandchildren and over 40 great grandchildren."1,2 There was a funeral for Frances on 7 April 1895 in Bourke Cemetery, Bourke, AustraliaG.2
Children of Frances Heazel and James Reed
- (?) Reed2 ( - before 1895)
- Ann Reed2 (1830 - before 1895)
- John Benjamin Reed+ (1832 - before 1895)
- James Reed2 (circa 1835 - )
- Alexander Reed2 (1837 - )
- Eliza Emily Tobin Reed2 (1841 - )
- Sarah Ann Reed (1844 - )
- Prudence Reed+7,2 (1846 - 1940)
- Frances Reed+2 (1848 - )
- George Charles Reed2 (1850 - )
- Mary Ann Reed2 (1852 - )
- Jane Reed2 (1856 - )
Life event details
- [S50] Research Report, Reed Family History, Robert Luxford, 1986, Fleming Family History Archive held by Jim Fleming, A19860000.
- [S152] Death Certificate for Frances Heazel, 4274/1895, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 8 April 1895.
- [S73] Death Certificate for James Reed, 5/1898, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 31 January 1898.
- [S131] "Surgeons Journal, Earl Grey 1837," MS, 1837; Archives Office of NSW.
- [S68] Baptism Certificate for Prudence Reed, Vol 31, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 30 August 1846.
- [S389] Various authors, History of Bourke.
- [S39] Death Certificate for Prudence Murphy, 526/1940, NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, 30 October 1940.
|Family forebears chart|