(1802 - after 1819)
BirthMaria was born in 1802.1 She was the daughter of John Lees and Mary Stevens.1 As of 11 November 1816 her married name was Gordon.2,1
DeathShe died after 9 November 1819. "As a measure of the harshness he was capable of showing to his fellow man, Marsden let it be known in the colony when Gordon's wife died that it was a judgement of God upon his sins."3,1
Life event details
- [S158] Journal Article, Gordon, Charles Moltson, Australian Biographical and Genealogical Record, 1788-1841, ABGR 1788-1841 p.159, State Library of NSW.
- [S47] Journal article, William Carlisle and Charles Gordon, D A Rae, Auckland-Waikato Historical Journal, Vol 41, September 1982, Fleming Family History Archive held by Jim Fleming.
- [S52] Chapter, "Samuel Marsden" in The Bigge Commission of Inquiry.
- [S117] Newspaper article, Active return, Sydney Gazette, 9 January 1819, State Library of NSW.
- [S56] Simpson, "Before Waitangi" in The Women of New Zealand. ).
- [S115] Committee Minutes, Church Missionary Society, FM4 1454, Archives Office of NSW.
- [S230] Journal Article, Carlisle William, Australian Biographical and Genealogical Record, 1788-1841, ABGR 1788-1841 p.62, State Library of NSW.