b. 16 May 1796, d. 11 April 1857
For a detailed biography of Isaac Kemp click here.
For more information about the Kemp surname click here.
Isaac Kemp was born on 16 May 1796 in Ticehurst.1,2
|Father||Laurence Kemp (b. 27 October 1751, d. 17 July 1803)|
|Mother||Elizabeth (b. about 1751, d. about 8 January 1833)|
Isaac Kemp emigrated on 19 July 1818 from in Portsmouth, England. SS General Stewart||The ship sailed to Australia via St Helena1 He immigrated on 31 December 1818 to Sydney, NSW, Australia. SS General Stewart1
- Isaac Kemp was engaged in in 1819.1
- He was employed on 9 October 1820 in Bathurst, NSW.1
- He was employed at on 12 October 1820 in Bathurst, NSW. threshing wheat ||Convict, Richard Milledge, said "I threshed the wheat on my own two and a half acres. Isaac Kemp, a prisoner of the government, assisted me to do it, after he had done his government work. We have sometimes finished our work at 1 o'clock. Mr James Blackman was Superintendent at the time. He never objected to the men working."3
- He was employed in Bathurst, NSW, in 1822.1
- He was employed in Bathurst, NSW, in November 1828.4
- He was employed in 1837.1
Isaac Kemp lived in Mudgee, NSW, Australia, on 18 August 1825.5 He lived in Mudgee, NSW, Australia, in December 1838.1 He lived in Mudgee, NSW, Australia, between 1839 and 1841.5
Involvement in crime
Isaac Kemp was charged with on 12 December 1817. burglary||The items stolen were 2 pairs of spatterducks, 5 yards of linen, 6 yards of printed cloth, 8 yards of sheeting, 1 yard on nankeen, 1 wrapper and 1 year of calico. The total value was 24 shillings and 6 pence.1 He was tried on 16 May 1818 in Horsham. burglary||Isaac Kemp and John Campany were both found guilty and sentenced to death. William Kemp was found not guilty.1 He was on 18 August 1828 in Bathurst. granted a Ticket of Leave1 He was on 20 June 1835. applied to marry1 He was in May 1837. was told that his Petition for Conditional Pardon had been mislaid||He was invited to reapply.1 He was on 3 December 1838 in Bathurst, NSW. applied to marry||The application was approved but the marriage never went ahead.1,6 He was on 22 December 1838 in Bathurst, NSW. applied to marry||The application was approved but the marriage never went ahead.7 He was on 16 May 1839. refused a Conditional Pardon||He was informed that the recommendations made on his behalf were not "sufficiently strong" to warrant granting a pardon. "No enquiry seems to have been made respecting him of his employers or master".1 He was on 1 July 1839. applied to marry||The application was approved.1 He was in 1843. granted a Conditional Pardon1
Isaac Kemp signed a will on 27 August 1856.8,9,1 Died at age at age 60 on 11 April 1857 in Cobra, Bligh, NSW, Australia. injuries received as a result of being run over by his own dray||10,1 He was buried on 12 April 1857 in Bligh. No inquest or magisterial inquiry was undertaken. Isaac was buried by John Blakemore (Publican at Bligh) and John Nichols. No minister was present. The death was registered on 16 April at the Police Office in Dubbo.10
- [S470] "RR: Isaac Kemp summary by Lorraine Voigt", 29 Jan 1991, Lorraine Voigt (5 Kenworth Street Brassall Qld 4305), to James Fleming (Sydney); Fleming Family History Archive, Sydney.
- [S471] "RR: Kemp Family Group Sheets by Lorraine Voigt", 29 Jan 1991, Lorraine Voigt (5 Kenworth Street Brassall Qld 4305), to James Fleming (Sydney); Fleming Family History Archive, Sydney.
- [S470] Lorraine Voigt, "RR: Kemp, Isaac summary by Lorraine Voigt", Quoting from the evidence of convict Richard Milledge to Commissioner Bigge.
- [S470] Lorraine Voigt, "RR: Kemp, Isaac summary by Lorraine Voigt", From the 1828 census.
- [S470] Lorraine Voigt, "RR: Kemp, Isaac summary by Lorraine Voigt", From Isaac Kemp's bank account.
- [S636] Isaac Kemp to Mary Tobin, Permission to Marry: 1838 1203 Kemp Isaac to Tobin Mary, (Kingswood: NSW Archives), 3 Dec 1838
- [S635] Isaac Kemp to Mary Tobin, Permission to Marry: 1838 1222 Kemp Isaac to Tobin Mary, (Kingswood: NSW Archives), 22 Dec 1838
- [S333] Isaac Kemp will (27 Aug 1856), W: Kemp, Isaac, Fleming Family History Archive, Sydney. Hereinafter cited as W: Kemp, Isaac.
- [S332] A Pickwood, L: Pickwood to Probate Office?, 8 May 1857.
- [S331] Death Certificate, Isaac Kemp, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1857 No 9.
|Last Edited||21 August 2018|