b. 3 July 1846, d. 29 October 1940
James Murphy circa 1887
Was born on 3 July 1846 in Sydney, NSW, Australia.1,2,3,4,5
Was baptised on 30 August 1846 in Sydney, NSW, Australia. ||Robert Luxford's "Reed Family History" mentions "another baptismal record - Prudence, August 1846 (born July). (Her father)r had become a constable in Kent Street. Previously the babies were baptised in St James or St Philip's church, the two nearest the Barracks. Prudence was baptised at St Andrews which suggests that James was stationed at the watch immediately behind the still incomplete cathedral."2,3
and Prudence Reed were married on 28 April 1863 in Bourke.1,6 James Murphy
and she were married on 18 May 1879 in Gongolgon. C of E||He was a 33 year old bachelor from Ireland; she a 33 year old widow from Sydney. Both lived in Gongolgon. His father was a farmer; hers a publican. Best man, William Johnson, signed with a mark. Bridesmaid was Prudence's daughter from her first marriage, Frances Whye (aged 15).7,1,8
Children with Joseph Whye (b. about 1835, d. 6 May 1877)
Children with James Murphy (b. November 1843, d. 23 July 1914)
- On 28 April 1863 Prudence Reed was a servant at No 18 Station in Gongolgon.6
Prudence Reed died on 29 October 1940 at age 94 at 19 Fernhill Street in Hurlstone Park.1
She was buried on 30 October 1940 at C of E in Randwick. The undertaker was Arthur Ernest Walters of the firm Walters & Son1
- [S292] Death Certificate, Prudence Murphy, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1940 No 526.
- [S303] "Research Report: Reed family facts", 1986, Robert Luxford, to James Fleming (Sydney); Fleming Family History Archive, Sydney.
- [S321] Baptismal Record: Reed, Prudence, Vol Vol 31, (30 August 1846), NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, Sydney
- [S405] Death Certificate, Frances Reed, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1895 No 4274.
- [S474] Interview with Ena Ruby Murphy (Bourke), by Halvene Therese Kessey, 1983. Fleming Family History Archive (Sydney.)
- [S679] Various authors History of Bourke (Bourke NSW: Bourke and District Historical Society, 1966-1992), First Marriages at Bourke. Hereinafter cited as History of Bourke.
- [S355] Marriage Certificate, James Murphy and Prudence Whye nee Reed, 18 May 1879, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW. 1879/2580 (250.)
- [S476] Edited, "James Murphy, Esquire," in Australian Men of Mark, Vol. 2, Series 2. (Sydney: Charles F Maxwell, 1889), p 321. Hereinafter cited as "James Murphy."