Frances ("Granny Elliott") Gibson
b. about 1806, d. 12 January 1870
Frances Elliott nee Gibson
Frances ("Granny Elliott") Gibson was born about 1806.1,2,3
and Frances ("Granny Elliott") Gibson were married about 1830.4,5 Alexander Pirie
and she were married on 9 April 1862 at Budgeon in Gulargambone. Frances signed with her mark. Budgeon station was owned by John McMahon in 1865. His father owned Tooloon.2,6
Frances ("Granny Elliott") Gibson lived at St James Westminster in London, England, United Kingdom, on 30 March 1851, charwoman. She and her daughter Emma were living in the household of Sarah Jones, charwoman. Her son James (aged 19) was living nearby at either Battersea or at St Mary, Putney. Her other son George was probably the 16-year-old apprentice clock maker living with Thomas Chester at Bakers Row, Clerkenwell.7
She immigrated on 2 October 1855 to Sydney, NSW, Australia. SS "Hilton"8,9,10,11,12
- On 6 June 1841 Frances ("Granny Elliott") Gibson was a Matron at London Fever Hospital in St Pancras. Her children were not with her and were not living together. It is likely that James (aged 10) was a pupil in the household of Ruth Matthews (school maid) at St Marylebone, St Pancras. Similarly, it is likely that George (aged 7) was a pupil in the household of James Burrows (schoolmaster) in Wimbledon, Surrey. Emma (aged 3) was probably living with a foster family, either with John Menhenitt at Plymouth, Devon or with John French at Frome, Somerset.5,3
Frances ("Granny Elliott") Gibson died on 12 January 1870 in Quambone. dropsy||She died at Bokemah, a property on Merri Merri Creek owned by Mary A Dingwell. Her daughter and son-in-law (Emma and William Kemp) were living and working there at the time.6
She was buried on 14 January 1870 at Bokemah station in Quambone. She was buried at Bokemah, a property on Merri Merri Creek.6
- [S478] Immigrant Deposit Journal: Frances Gibson and children, Immigrant Deposit Journal, Kingswood; Archives Office of NSW. Hereinafter cited as IDJ: Frances Gibson and children.
- [S685] Marriage Certificate, Alexander Pirie and Frances Gibson, 9 April 1862, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW. 1862/1846 56.
- [S1454] Frances Elliott, 6 Jun 1841 Census UK, London, Camden Town, St Pancras, Public Record Office, piece 681, book 8, folio 14, p 1.
- [S479] Joan McKenzie, Gibson's Way, 24 Zoccoli Street Coonamble NSW 2829: Joan McKenzie, 1993, p 111.
- [S1453] "Elliott family origins", 2020, James Michael Fleming (Cammeray, NSW), Fleming Family History Archive, Sydney.
- [S686] Death Certificate, Frances Pirie, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1870 No 3353.
- [S1455] Frances Elliott, 30 Mar 1851 Census UK, London, St James Westminster, Public Record Office, p 323.
- [S479] Joan McKenzie, Gibson's Way, 24 Zoccoli Street Coonamble NSW 2829: Joan McKenzie, 1993, 118.
- [S471] "RR: Kemp Family Group Sheets by Lorraine Voigt", 29 Jan 1991, Lorraine Voigt (5 Kenworth Street Brassall Qld 4305), to James Fleming (Sydney); Fleming Family History Archive, Sydney.
- [S460] Death Certificate, Emma Kemp, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1931 No 19973.
- [S1468] A Grand Old Woman, Mudgee Guardian and North-Western Representative, 31 Dec 1931, Obituary.
- [S1486] Elliott family entry, Hilton, Passenger List, 2 Oct 1855; in (Kingswood: NSW Government Archives.)