b. February 1788, d. 4 March 1861
Patrick Lahy was born in February 1788 at Tulla in Thomastown. His arrival indents imply a birth date of 1793.1,2,3,4,5 He was baptized on 15 February 1788 at St John's in Kilkenny, Ireland.4,5
Patrick Lahy and Mary Keating were married on 17 February 1814 in Gowran.4
Patrick Lahy emigrated on 20 September 1828 from Cork, Ireland. The departure indent gives his crime as highway robbery. However all other records agree on stealing butter.2,6,3 He immigrated on 17 January 1829 to Sydney, NSW, Australia. He was described as being 35 years old, 5 feet 5.5 inches tall with brown hair, hazel eyes and a ruddy complexion. He had three moles on his left cheek, opposite his mouth.1,2,7 He lived in Camden, NSW, Australia, in 1843, as landholder of 24 acres. He had maid 36 pounds for the land.8
Involvement in crime
Patrick Lahy was tried for stealing butter on 27 March 1828 in Kilkenny. He was convicted and sentenced to transportation for life. He had two former convictions and a family of 5.1,2,7,3 He was granted a ticket of leave on 20 November 1838 in Liverpool, NSW.7
- On 1 March 1828 Patrick Lahy was a ploughman who reaps in Kilkenny.2
Patrick Lahy died from injuries recieved when run over by his cart on 4 March 1861 at age 73 at Infirmary in Sydney.9
- [S645] Mary Lahy entry, SS Margaret, Convict Arrival Indents, 1837; in Convict Records (Kinsgwood: Archives Office of NSW.)
- [S1095] Patrick Leahy, Convict Indent 1829 NSW Governor Ready: Patrick Leahy, (Kingswood NSW: NSW State Archives), 17 Jan 1929, Governor Ready. Master: Young.
- [S1101] Patrick Leahy, Conditional Pardon, (NSW: Colonial Secretary), 1847, 1714
- [S1110] "RR: Lahy family origins - Essay by James Michael Fleming", 2019, James Michael Fleming (4 Currawang Street, Cammeray), to self; Fleming Family History Archive, Sydney.
- [S1079] Baptismal Record: Patrick Lahy 1788, (17 Feb 1788), Thomastown RC Church, Irish Family History Foundation, Ireland
- [S1096] Patrick Leahy, Convict Indent 1828 NSW Governor Ready: Patrick Leahy, (Kingswood NSW: NSW State Archives), 16 Sep 1828, Governor Ready. Master: Young.
- [S1099] Patrick Leahy, Convict Ticket Of Leave Butt: Leahy Patrick 1838, (Kingswood: NSW State Archives), 20 Nov 1838, 38/2054
- [S1103] Patrick Leahy, 1843 Landholder list, NSW, Camden, Archives Office.
- [S1111] Coroner's Inquests, Sydney Morning Herald, 16 Mar 1861, p4.