b. 1807, d. 27 February 1884
George Waples Private in the 4th Kings Own, circa 1830. This is actually a portrait of one of the other men in his Regiment - Henry Watson - painted by Charles Dean.
For a detailed biography of George Waples click here.
For more information about the Waples surname click here.
George Waples was born in 1807 in Northamptonshire.1,2
George Waples and Amelia Carlisle were married on 28 September 1835 at St John's Church in Sydney. C of E||George was described as a Private, 4th Regiment. Presumably that is why the consent of Lt Colonel Breton is recorded. Amelia is described as Free, aged 21 years. Both signed with a mark (although the witnesses signed their names).3,4,1
George Waples immigrated on 13 November 1831 to Hobart, NSW, Australia. convict ship "Strathfieldsay"||George probably did not intend to immigrate when he arrived in Australia as a convict guard. In fact, he never left Australia after arriving here.3
- George Waples was employed as a on 1 June 1827 in London, England.
- He was employed by as in September 1835.4
- He was employed by as in Bulli, NSW, Australia, in 1837.3
- He purchased his discharge from the 4th Regiment of Foot for 15 pounds in Sydney, NSW, Australia, on 31 July 1837.
George Waples signed a will on 20 July 1880 in Mount Kembla, NSW, Australia. ||Everything (chiefly his 50 acre farm) was left to his sons David and Joseph.5 He died on 27 February 1884 at age ~77 in Mount Kembla. paralysis||He was aged 77 years1,5 He had his estate probated on 9 April 1884 in Australia.5
- [S395] Death Certificate, George Waples, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1884 No 10220.
- [S994] "The Waples Roadblock", 2019, James Michael Fleming (Cammeray, NSW), Fleming Family History Archive, Sydney.
- [S301] Selina Ann Waples, Illawarra Mercury, 28 December 1982.
- [S318] Marriage Certificate, George Waples and Amelia Carlisle, 28 September 1835, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW. Vol 19 No 1117.
- [S396] George Waples will (9 Apr 1884), Will: George Waples 9662 in 1884, Probate Office, NSW. Hereinafter cited as W: Waples, George.
|Last Edited||21 August 2018|