b. 29 January 1813, d. 2 June 1876
For a detailed biography of Amelia Carlisle click here
For more information about the Carlisle surname click here
Amelia Carlisle was born on 29 January 1813.1,2,3,4
and Amelia Carlisle were married on 28 September 1835 at St John's Church in Sydney. C of E||George was described as a Private, 4th Regiment. Presumably that is why the consent of Lt Colonel Breton is recorded. Amelia is described as Free, aged 21 years. Both signed with a mark (although the witnesses signed their names).5,1,6
Amelia Carlisle was travel on 9 November 1819 in Sydney, NSW, Australia. from Bay of Islands on SS "Active"||"Writing privately to Josiah Pratt after his return to the colony, Marsden had the 'painful duty' of reporting, with a mixture of biblical metaphors, that he had found the settlers like so many sheep without a shepherd, each seeking his own advantage, so that the Enemy had made dreadful work amongst them, sowing tares in the wheat and stirring them up to mutual accusation. All had neglected their proper tasks, competing in private trade as a means of procuring food and gaining influence over the Maoris. ... William Carlisle and James Gordon felt humiliated at being seen by the Maoris as common labourers. Carlisle resigned, unable to cope with a timorous and clinging wife, Gordon was dismissed, and both men were shipped out with their families in the Active
when Marsden left on 9 November. As a measure of the harshness he was capable of showing to his fellow man, Marsden let it be known in the colony when Gordon's wife died that it was a judgement of God upon his sins"7,4
Amelia Carlisle died on 2 June 1876 at age 63. from paralysis||She was survived by her husband, George, 5 sons and 4 daughters and was predeceased by 5 sons2,8,4
She was buried on 3 June 1876 at St Lukes Church of England in Brownsville. 9
The DC refers to the burial place as "Episcopal Cemetery, Dapto".[:CIT]5,2
- [S318] Marriage Certificate, George Waples and Amelia Carlisle, 28 September 1835, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW. Vol 19 No 1117.
- [S352] Death Certificate, Amelia Waples, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1876 1138.
- [S410] Mary Ann Gordon, Australian Biographical and Genealogical Record, p161.
- [S518] Carlisle William, Australian Biographical and Genealogical Record, p62.
- [S301] Selina Ann Waples, Illawarra Mercury, 28 December 1982.
- [S395] Death Certificate, George Waples, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1884 No 10220.
- [S305] John Thomas Bigge, "Samuel Marsden," in The Bigge Commission of Inquiry. (London: House of Commons, 1822). Hereinafter cited as "Samuel Marsden."
- [S409] Thomas Gordon, Australian Biographical and Genealogical Record, p161.