b. about 1797, d. 27 March 1858
Denis Shea was born about 1797 in Kerry.1,2
Children with Mary Horgan (b. circa 1795, d. August 1855)
Denis Shea immigrated on 26 October 1834 to Sydney, NSW, Australia. He was transported to Australia aboard the convict transport ship "Blenheim". He was married with four children. He was 5' 4" tall with a "ruddy freckled" complexion, light brown hair and grey eyes.1,6,2
- On 11 November 1834 Denis Shea was an assigned servant to Joshua Kinghorne in Goulburn.7
Denis Shea lived in Bathurst, NSW, on 14 September 1849, living with the Aitken family.8 He lived in Bathurst, NSW, on 25 August 1853.3
Involvement in crime
Denis Shea was found guilty of sheep stealing on 13 March 1834 in Tralee, Kerry, Ireland. He was sentenced to transportation for life.8,1,9,6 He was granted a Ticket of Leave on 12 December 1842 in Bathurst, NSW.6 He was approved for a conditional pardon on 9 July 1847.10 He was granted a conditional pardon on 31 December 1847.6,10
Denis Shea died from injuries sustained when his dray overturned on 27 March 1858 in Limekilns.3,11,2 He was buried on 30 March 1858 in Bathurst.2
- [S421] Denis Shea entry, SS Blenheim, Convict Arrival Indent, 14 Nov 1834; in Convict Records (Kingswood: NSW Archives).
- [S1148] Death Certificate, Denis Shea, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, 2596/1858.
- [S389] Murphy family entry, Talavera, Pax list, 6 Sep 1853; in 4/4935 (Kingswood: Archives Office of NSW), 2465.
- [S1088] Noel Caffery, Emails from Noel Caffery to Jim Fleming, Sydney: Fleming Family History Archive, 30 Jun 2019.
- [S1146] Family History Group of Bathurst Inc, editor, Bathurst Pioneers (Bathurst NSW 2795: Family History Group of Bathurst Inc, 2007). Hereinafter cited as Bathurst Pioneers.
- [S1134] Denis Shea, Convict Ticket of Leave Butt: Shea Denis 1842, (Kingswood: NSW State Archives), 12 Dec 1842. Bathurst District.
- [S1132] Denis Shea, Convict Assignment 1834 NSW: Shea Denis, (Kingswood NSW: NSW State Archives), November 1834, HO 10/30. Goulburn Plains.
- [S1089] Shea family entry, Panama, Pax list, 14 Sep 1849; in (Kingswood: Archives Office of NSW).
- [S1133] Denis Shea, Irish Convict Warrants 1839 NSW: Shea Denis, (Kingswood NSW: NSW State Archives), 17 May 1839, Blenheim
- [S1135] Denis Shea, Conditional Pardon, (NSW: Colonial Secretary), 1847, 1310
- [S1138] Inquest, Inquest: Denis Shea, Sydney: NSW Coroner, 6 April 1858, Coroner Busby.
|Last Edited||28 October 2019|