b. about 1837, d. 31 August 1918
Possibly David Press, circa 1860.
For a detailed biography of David Press click here
For more information about the Press surname click here
David Press was born about 1837 in Wiveliscombe.1,2,3
He witnessed the birth of Mary Jane Press
on 24 October 1867 in Rockley, New South Wales. ||Her parents (David and Susannah) had difficulty deciding on a name for their new daughter. It wasn't until after her birth was registered (on 10 December) that the names 'Mary Jane' were decided on!4,1,5,3,6,7
David Press and Susannah Baker
were married on 2 May 1866 at Church of Saints Michael and John in Bathurst. David was a farmer of Triangle Flat; Susannah a farmer's daughter of Dunn's Plains. Both signed with a mark, as did John Baker (best man). Mary Cullen signed her own name. William Baker gave permission for Susannah to marry1,8,3
Children with Susannah Baker (b. about 1848, d. 14 October 1907)
|Daughter||Mary Jane Press+ (b. 24 October 1867, d. 5 March 1951)|
|Son||Son1 Press (b. about 1868, d. before 14 October 1907)|
|Daughter||Agnes E Press (b. about 1869, d. after 31 August 1918)|
|Daughter||Daughter1 Press (b. about 1870, d. before 14 October 1907)|
|Daughter||Susan Press (b. about 1871, d. after 31 August 1918)|
|Daughter||Daughter2 Press (b. about 1873, d. before 14 October 1907)|
|Son||Joseph Press (b. about 1875, d. after 14 October 1907)|
|Son||David Press (b. about 1878, d. after 14 October 1907)|
|Daughter||Henrietta Press (b. about 1880, d. after 31 August 1918)|
|Daughter||Sarah Blanche Press (b. about 1882, d. after 31 August 1918)|
David Press witnessed the immigration of Daniel Press
and Ethelinda Staid
on 22 November 1849 in Sydney, NSW, Australia. SS Una||The ship later left Sydney for Bombay2,9,3,10
David Press lived in Triangle Flat, NSW, Australia, about 1890.11
- On 31 August 1918 David Press was a farmer.3,12
David Press died on 31 August 1918 at Piper Street in Bathurst. carcinoma of the penis and arthenia||He had suffered the former for 2 years3
He was buried on 2 September 1918 at Roman Catholic cemetery in Jumpers Flat.3
There is a memorial to David Press at Jumpers Flat Cemetery in Rockley, New South Wales. Follow this link
for information and images of his memorial.
- [S323] Baptismal Record: Press, Mary Jane, Vol 1867, (10 December 1867), NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, Sydney
- [S387] Press family entry, Una, Passenger List, 1849; in 4/4915 (Kingswood: Archives Office of NSW), 2460.
- [S457] Death Certificate, David Press, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1918 No 12610.
- [S296] Death Certificate, Mary Jane Kessey, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1951 No 957.
- [S454] Death Certificate, Susan Press, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1907 No 15520.
- [S604] Marriage Certificate, James Kessey and Mary Jane Kessey (Press), 23 Jan 1923, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW. 1923/3952.
- [S486] Birth Certificate Vol 1905 No 17192, Halvar Roy Kessey, (6 May 1905), NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages.
- [S344] Marriage Certificate, David Press and Susannah Baker, 2 May 1866, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW. 1866/1454 (42.)
- [S443] Death Certificate, Ethelinda Press, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1880 No 9031.
- [S386] Una arrival, Sydney Morning Herald, 27 Nov 1849, column 2, front page.
- [S466] "RR: Hanrahan-Hogan Descendants Chart", unknown author; Fleming Family History Archive, Sydney.
- [S453] Death Certificate, John Kessey, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1902 No 2534.
Click on any citation number above to view details of the source document and, possibly, access an image of the source.