Mary Jane Press
b. 24 October 1867, d. 5 March 1951
Mary Jane Kessey (nee Press), circa 1915.
For a detailed biography of Mary Jane Press click here
For more information about the Press surname click here
Mary Jane Press was born on 24 October 1867 in Rockley. ||Her parents (David and Susannah) had difficulty deciding on a name for their new daughter. It wasn't until after her birth was registered (on 10 December) that the names 'Mary Jane' were decided on!1,2,3,4,5,6
and Mary Jane Press were married on 22 April 1890 at St Patrick's Catholic Church in Rockley.6,7,8,9 James Kessey
and she were divorced on 14 August 1915 in NSW. The divorce was numbered 298 of 1914. They remarried each other nine years later.7
Children with James Kessey (b. 18 June 1858, d. 14 August 1944)
Mary Jane Press lived DETAIL on 22 April 1890 in Rockley, New South Wales. She lived with her parents7 James Kessey
and she lived in Mount David, New South Wales, Australia, on 4 April 1901. The household consisted of 5 males (James, Harold, Joe and 2 guests) and 6 females (Mary Jane, Grace, Beat, Bern, Phil and 1 guest).10
She lived at 2 Simpson Avenue in Coniston, New South Wales, Australia, in 1949.11
Mary Jane Press died on 5 March 1951 at age 83 at 2 Simpson Ave in Coniston. cerebral anoxaemia, pernicious anaemia1,12
She was buried on 7 March 1951 at Roman Catholic in Wollongong. During Mary Jane Kessey's funeral at the Catholic Church in Wollongong, her daughter (Beatrice Martin), collapsed and died. Mary Jane's funeral was postponed to the next day (7 March). They are buried in adjoining graves (with Beatrice's husband, Dal Martin, buried between them)13
Information about Mary Jane Kessey's funeral supplied by her daughter-in-law, Ena Kessey who attended the funeral[:CIT]1,12
- [S296] Death Certificate, Mary Jane Kessey, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1951 No 957.
- [S323] Baptismal Record: Press, Mary Jane, Vol 1867, (10 December 1867), NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, Sydney
- [S454] Death Certificate, Susan Press, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1907 No 15520.
- [S457] Death Certificate, David Press, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1918 No 12610.
- [S604] Marriage Certificate, James Kessey and Mary Jane Kessey (Press), 23 Jan 1923, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW. 1923/3952.
- [S486] Birth Certificate Vol 1905 No 17192, Halvar Roy Kessey, (6 May 1905), NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages.
- [S402] Marriage Certificate, James Kessey and Mary Jane Press, 22 April 1890, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW. No 4634 of 1890.
- [S466] "RR: Hanrahan-Hogan Descendants Chart", unknown author, Fleming Family History Archive, Sydney.
- [S295] Death Certificate, James Kessey, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1944 No 328.
- [S711] James Kessey, 4 Apr 1901 Census NSW, Kingswood, Mount David, Archives Office of NSW.
- [S725] Kessey, 1949 Electoral Roll, Kingswood, Coniston, Archives Office of NSW.
- [S408] Kessey Gravestones x 3 Gravestone, Cemetery, Wollongong; James Michael Fleming, 7 Mar 1951.