Mary Ann Hanrahan
b. August 1828, d. 16 August 1907
For a detailed biography of Mary Ann Hanrahan click here.
Mary Ann Hanrahan was born in August 1828 in South Creek.1,2,3,4,5
John Kessey and Mary Ann Hanrahan were engaged about 1857.6 John Kessey and Mary Ann Hanrahan made a prenuptial agreement on 13 August 1857 in Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia. Mary Ann's brother (Phillip Hanrahan) was also a party to the Indenture which recorded what had been agreed as part of a "treaty for the said marriage". The agreement provides that the 40 acres of land plus horses and cattle would be held by her trustee (Phillip Hanrahan and his heirs) for her benefit "free from the debt control arrangements or inteference of her ... husband for and during the term of her life". After her decease, the land and its produce would go to the use of the surviving children of the marriage as tenants in common (not as joint tenants) for the use of their heirs and assigns forever.6 John Kessey and she were married on 27 August 1857 at Church of Saints Michael and John in Bathurst. Roman Catholic||2,1,7,3,8,5,9,10
- On 16 August 1907 Mary Ann Hanrahan was a domestic duties in Black Springs.3
Michael, John, Patrick, and Phillip, 's child, resided with, in Melville, NSW, in November 1828. and worked as a landholder. Catherine Hogan had left her three-month-old daughter (Mary Ann) at Melville and had travelled to Sutton Forest.11 Mary Ann Hanrahan lived at Hillsbro Station in Black Springs, New South Wales, in 1881.12 John Kessey and she lived at Hilsbury in Essington, NSW, on 5 April 1891. The residence housed 4 males and three females.13
Died at age at age ~79 on 16 August 1907 in Black Springs, New South Wales. heart disease mitral regurgitation3,4 Mary Ann Hanrahan was buried on 18 August 1907 at Roman Catholic Cemetery in Black Springs.3
- [S337] Birth Certificate Vol 1858 No 4602, James Kessey, (30 June 1858), NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages.
- [S336] Marriage Certificate, John Kessey and Mary Ann Hanrahan, 27 August 1857, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW. 1857/1385 (88).
- [S463] Death Certificate, Mary Ann Kessey, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1907 No 10401.
- [S466] "RR: Hanrahan-Hogan Descendants Chart", unknown author, Fleming Family History Archive, Sydney.
- [S781] Birth Certificate Vol 1860 No 5016, Philip Kessey, (30 June 1858), NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages.
- [S335] Deed: Hanrahan-Kessey, Land Titles Office of NSW, Book 50 Settlers No 921.
- [S453] Death Certificate, John Kessey, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1902 No 2534.
- [S465] "RR: Hogan-McMahon Descendants Chart", unknown author, to James Fleming (Sydney); Fleming Family History Archive, Sydney.
- [S786] Kelaher v Eviston and Others, Bathurst Free Press and Mining Journal, 14 Oct 1890, p2.
- [S801] Ancestry.com, Australia, Marriage Index, 1788-1950, Kessey-Hanrahan
- [S952] Patrick Hanrahan, Nov 1828 Census NSW, NSW, Melville, Archives Office.
- [S884] Various, Sands' Country Directory (Sydney: John Sands Ltd, 1881).
- [S787] John Kessey, 5 Apr 1891 Census NSW, NSW, Essington, Archives Office.
|Last Edited||12 December 2018|