b. January 1807, d. 12 December 1888
John House logo
John House was born in January 1807 in Drayton.1,2
John House and Mary Hooper
were married about 1829 in Drayton.3,2
Children with Mary Hooper (b. about 1808, d. 2 April 1875)
John House immigrated on 4 September 1856 to Sydney, NSW, Australia. SS "Lloyds"||John & Mary House paid £7/10/- for themselves and their 7 children while John's brother, William, brought his wife (Amelia), 4 step-children and 4 of his own children for £2/10/-. John's entry notes that his brother, Charles, is employed as a gardner by Mrs Thompson, 158 George Street, Sydney.1,4
- On 12 August 1845 John House was a labourer in Drayton.5
- On 4 September 1856 John House was a farm labourer in Sydney.1,6
- About 1860 John House was a timber carter.4
- About 1888 John House was a labourer.2
John House witnessed the death of Mary Hooper
on 2 April 1875 at Harbour Street off Hay Street in Sydney, NSW, Australia. chronic diarrhoea||She was survived by 3 sons and 4 daughters and was predeceased by 3 sons3
He died on 12 December 1888 at age 81 at 161 Crown Road in Sydney. senile bronchitis and valvular disease of heart2
There was a funeral for on 16 December 1888 in Leichhardt, NSW, Australia. He was buried in Balmain Cemetery (now Pioneers Memorial Park in Leichhardt)2
There is a memorial to John House at Pioneers Memorial Park in Leichhardt, NSW, Australia. Follow this link
for information and images of his memorial.
- [S329] House and Hope families entry, Lloyds, Passenger List, 1856; in (Kingswood: NSW Government Archives.)
- [S400] Death Certificate, John House, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1888 No 2062.
- [S351] Death Certificate, Mary House, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1875 No 928.
- [S452] Death Certificate, Grace Flowerdew, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1900 No 11694.
- [S422] Birth Certificate BxBz 305388, Grace House, (7 Sep 1845), General Register Office, England.
- [S350] Marriage Certificate, John Flowerdew and Grace House, 22 December 1870, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW. 1870/1196.
Click on any citation number above to view details of the source document and, possibly, access an image of the source.