b. 12 August 1845, d. 6 October 1900
Probably Grace Flowerdew (nee House), circa 1890
Grace House was born on 12 August 1845 in Drayton. The birth was registered on 7 September 1845 in the Sub-district of Curry Rivell in the District of Langport1,2,3,4,5,6
|Father||John House (b. January 1807, d. 12 December 1888)|
|Mother||Mary Hooper (b. about 1808, d. 2 April 1875)|
John James Flowerdew
and Grace House were married on 22 December 1870 at St Andrews Cathedral in Sydney. He was a bachelor Mariner of Sydney and she a spinster of Liverpool Street, Sydney. His father, Benjamin, was a ship's carpenter. Her father was a Labourer.2,3,4,6,7
Grace House immigrated on 4 September 1856 to Sydney, NSW, Australia. SS "Lloyds"||John & Mary House paid £7/10/- for themselves and their 7 children while John's brother, William, brought his wife (Amelia), 4 step-children and 4 of his own children for £2/10/-. John's entry notes that his brother, Charles, is employed as a gardner by Mrs Thompson, 158 George Street, Sydney.1,6
She lived at Liverpool Street in Sydney, NSW, Australia, on 22 December 1870.2
Grace House died from liver cancer on 6 October 1900 at age 55 in Balmain North. She had been ill for four months. She died at 6 Sutton Street, Balmain North4,6
She was buried on 8 October 1900 in Balmain North. Her burial service was conducted according to the rites of the Salvation Army6
There is a memorial to Grace House at Pioneers Memorial Park in Leichhardt, NSW, Australia. Follow this link
for information and images of her memorial.
- [S329] House and Hope families entry, Lloyds, Passenger List, 1856; in (Kingswood: NSW Government Archives.)
- [S350] Marriage Certificate, John Flowerdew and Grace House, 22 December 1870, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW. 1870/1196.
- [S357] Birth Certificate Vol 1881 No 4478, Ada Grace Flowerdew, (24 November 1881), NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages.
- [S400] Death Certificate, John House, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1888 No 2062.
- [S422] Birth Certificate BxBz 305388, Grace House, (7 Sep 1845), General Register Office, England.
- [S452] Death Certificate, Grace Flowerdew, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1900 No 11694.
- [S455] Death Certificate, John James Flowerdew, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1910 No 9090.
Click on any citation number above to view details of the source document and, possibly, access an image of the source.