b. 1819, d. 31 July 1894
For more information about the Murphy surname click here
John Murphy was born in 1819 in Glenbeigh.1
John Murphy and Mary Shea
were married on 1 February 1836 in Keelnabrack.1,2
Children with Mary Shea (b. 1821, d. 22 June 1904)
John Murphy immigrated on 25 August 1853 to Sydney, NSW, Australia, at Sydney Quarantine Station. The family traveled aboard SS Talavera which left Southampton on 31 May 1853.1,3
He and Mary Shea
lived in Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia, about 1854.3
- On 25 August 1853 John Murphy was a farm labourer in Sydney.1
She witnessed 's burial on 13 December 1867 in Campbells River, NSW, Australia.4
She witnessed 's burial on 20 December 1867 in Campbells River, NSW, Australia.5
John Murphy died on 31 July 1894 at age ~75 in Bathurst.6,7
There is a memorial to John Murphy at Bathurst Cemetery in Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia. Follow this link
for information and images of his memorial.
- [S389] Murphy family entry, Talavera, Passenger list, 6 Sep 1853; in 4/4935 (Kingswood: Archives Office of NSW), 2465.
- [S1086] Marriage Certificate, John Murphy and Mary Shea, 1 Feb 1836, General Register Office, Ireland. Glenbeigh marriages.
- [S476] Edited, "James Murphy, Esquire," in Australian Men of Mark, Vol. 2, Series 2. (Sydney: Charles F Maxwell, 1889.)
- [S432] Death Certificate, Mary Murphy, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1867 No 4129.
- [S433] Death Certificate, Abbey Elizabeth Murphy, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1867 No 4130.
- [S1144] Murphy Shea Gravestone, Cemetery, Bathurst; James Fleming, 2018.
- [S1145] NSW Registrar of Births Deaths and Marriages, Index NSW death: Murphy, John, (Registrar of Births Deaths and Marriages), 10631/1894.
Click on any citation number above to view details of the source document and, possibly, access an image of the source.