b. August 1765, d. 17 February 1853
Thomas Reed was born in August 1765 in Chorlton.1,2,3,4
He was baptized on 30 August 1765 at St Mary and All Saints church in Whitmore, Staffordshire. There are two possible baptism records for Thomas Reed. The first was the son of Thomas Reed and Elizabeth Hemmings and was baptised on 27 September 1767 at the Church of St Mary and All Saints in Trentham. This is where all of Thomas's children were to be later baptised. But this
baptism occurred two years after Thomas was born (based on the information recorded on his death certificate); and the child was probably born at Hanchurch, not Chorlton (which Thomas nominated as his birthplace on the 1851 census). So, it is more likely that our Thomas was baptised on 30 August 1765 at the church of St Mary and All saints at Whitmore (3 miles closer to Chorlton than Hanchurch). If so, his parents were William Reed and Sarah Martin who had been married at Stoke on Trent on 26 December 1764. They had three other children (Ann 1767; William 1771-1772; and William2,1
Thomas Reed and Elizabeth Sutton
were married on 13 July 1789 at St Peter Ad Vincula church in Stoke on Trent.5
Thomas Reed lived in Trentham, Stone, Staffordshire, England, on 6 June 1841, shoemaker. He was 75 years old and had two boarders: Joseph and Jane Pinner, both 35 year old.6
He lived at 31 Ash Green in Trentham, Stone, Staffordshire, England, on 30 March 1851, shoemaker.4
- On 25 December 1791 Thomas Reed was a shoemaker in Trentham.7
- On 7 February 1806 Thomas Reed was a shoemaker at Ash Green in Trentham.8
- On 7 March 1810 Thomas Reed was a shoemaker at Ash Green in Trentham.9
Thomas Reed died on 17 February 1853 at age 87 at Ash Green in Trentham. His daughter Mary Reed recorded that he had been a cordwainer (shoemaker).3
He was buried on 20 February 1853 in Trentham.10
- [S1638] Baptismal Record: Thomas Reed 1765, No D3332/1/2, (30 Aug 1765), Staffordshire, Staffordshire
- [S1612] "Our Reed Origins", 2022, James Michael Fleming (Cammeray, NSW), Fleming Family History Archive, Sydney.
- [S1641] Death Certificate, Thomas Reed, General Register Office, London, March Quarter vol 6B page 30.
- [S1645] 1851 census of England, Staffordshire, Trentham, folio 631, page 12, line 3, Thomas Rhead; HO107, Stone district, Trentham sub-District, enumeration district 7 & 4, schedule 39; The National Archives, Kew; FHL microfilm
- [S1640] Marriage Certificate, Thomas Reed and Elizabeth Sutton, 13 Jul 1789, Staffordshire Banns, Stafford. St Peter Ad Vincula.
- [S1645] 1851 census of England, Staffordshire, Trentham, folio 9, page 9, line 14, Thomas Rhead; HO107, Stone district, Trentham sub-District, enumeration district 7 & 4, schedule 39; The National Archives, Kew; FHL microfilm
- [S1609] Staffordshire Baptisms, Baptism Register: page 12, 25 Dec 1791, St Mary and All Saints, Trentham
- [S1609] Staffordshire Baptisms, Baptism Register: page 100, 7 Feb 1806, St Mary and All Saints, Trentham
- [S1644] St Mary and All Saints (Trentham), Burial Register, page 80, Anne Rhead, 7 Mar 1810; digital image, Find My Past (www.findmypast.com : downloaded 3 Jan 2022).
- [S1644] St Mary and All Saints (Trentham), Burial Register, Thoimas Rhead, 20 Feb 1853; digital image, Find My Past (www.findmypast.com : accessed 3 Jan 2022).
Click on any citation number above to view details of the source document and, possibly, access an image of the source.