John Henry Bowen
b. 23 June 1853, d. 8 January 1902
John Henry Bowen circa 1892
For a detailed biography of John Henry Bowen click here
For more information about the Bowen surname click here
John Henry Bowen was born on 23 June 1853 in Bathurst. The family lived at Bathurst where Martin Bowen was a shoemaker1,2,3
He was baptized on 12 July 1853.1
Married on 20 October 1878 in Coonamble, New South Wales, Australia. He was a dam maker. They were both from Caranda.4,5,6,2,7
Children with Alice Clarkson Poulton (b. 23 March 1860, d. 27 November 1927)
|Son||Thomas Martin Bowen (b. 25 July 1879, d. 1879)|
|Son||Albert John Bowen (b. 28 December 1880, d. before 27 November 1927)|
|Daughter||Ellen Ruby Bowen+ (b. 16 September 1882, d. 14 April 1912)|
|Son||James Daniel Bowen+ (b. 4 December 1884, d. after 27 November 1927)|
|Daughter||Elizabeth Alice Bowen+ (b. 10 August 1887, d. about 1967)|
|Daughter||Ivy May Josephine Bowen+ (b. 14 November 1889, d. 5 March 1940)|
|Son||John Martin Bowen+ (b. 25 December 1891, d. after 27 November 1927)|
|Daughter||Lillian May Bowen+ (b. 22 May 1893, d. before 27 November 1927)|
|Son||Thomas William Bowen (b. 29 November 1895, d. 1896)|
|Daughter||Alice Mary Bowen+ (b. 21 March 1897, d. after 27 November 1927)|
|Son||Cornelius Patrick Joseph Bede Bowen+ (b. 6 February 1899, d. after 27 November 1927)|
|Son||William Bede Bowen (b. 4 November 1900, d. after 27 November 1927)|
- On 20 October 1878 John Henry Bowen was a dam-maker in Coonamble.4
- On 16 September 1882 John Henry Bowen was a hawker in Timbrebongie.5
- On 5 September 1887 John Henry Bowen was a hawker in Bourke.6
- About 1902 John Henry Bowen was a grocer.8
John Henry Bowen died on 8 January 1902 at age 48 at Sydney Hospital in Sydney. capillary bronchitis||He had been in Sydney Hospital for a month. He was described as "late of Bourke, NSW". His son, Albert John Bowen, had died on the same day. He drowned in the Macintyre River at Inverell2,3,8
He was buried on 9 January 1902 at RC Cemetery in Waverley.2
- [S322] Baptismal Record: Bowen, John Henry, Vol 70, No 1310, (12 July 1853), NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, Sydney
- [S450] Death Certificate, John Henry Bowen, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1902 No 60.
- [S474] Interview with Ena Ruby Murphy (Bourke), by Halvene Therese Kessey, 1983. Fleming Family History Archive (Sydney.)
- [S353] Marriage Certificate, John Bowen and Alice Poulton, 20 October 1878, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW. 1878/2830 (18.)
- [S358] Birth Certificate 345/1882, Ellen Ruby Bowen, (23 October 1882), NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages.
- [S398] Death Certificate, John Poulton, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1884 No 11006.
- [S458] Death Certificate, Alice Clarkson Bowen, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1927 No 22759.
- [S602] Marriage Certificate, George Charles Reed Murphy and Ellen Ruby Bowen, 18 October 1905, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW. 1905/9105.
Click on any citation number above to view details of the source document and, possibly, access an image of the source.