b. 17 February 1854, d. 17 August 1928
Charles Fleming, circa 1893
For a detailed biography of Charles Fleming click here
For more information about the Fleming surname click here
Charles Fleming was born on 17 February 1854 at Coatbridge, Parish of Old Monkland, in Glasgow.1,2,3,4,5
He was baptized on 2 April 1854 at Coatbridge, Parish of Old Monkland, in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland.1
Charles Fleming and Margaret Scott Ballantyne
were married on 28 December 1877 at Dunlop Street, Tollcross, Shettleston, in Glasgow. They were married after banns were announced according to the rites of the United Presbyterian Church.6,7,2,3
Charles Fleming lived at 690 Springfield Road in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland, on 12 February 1881.8
He and Margaret Scott Ballantyne
emigrated on 20 July 1883 from in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland. aboard "Eastern Monarch"9
He immigrated on 4 November 1883 to Townsville, Qld, Australia, at Magnetic Island. "Eastern Monarch"||9,10
He was travelling on 19 November 1883 in Rockhampton, Qld, Australia. The family of "Mr Charles Fleming, wife and son" were en route to Maryborough, from where they would journey to Gympie and Brisbane by train. Baby William was not mentioned.11
He immigrated about 1904 to Auckland, New Zealand.7
- On 12 November 1883 Charles Fleming was a was employed for a week in the foundry, at the greensand, as he recorded in his diary in Townsville.9
Charles Fleming died on 17 August 1928 at age 74 in Thames. He was buried on 18 August 1928 at Shortland Cemetery in Thames.
- [S427] Baptismal Record: Fleming, Charles, No 4450, (2 Apr 1854), General Register Office, Scotland, New Register House Edinburgh
- [S437] Marriage Certificate, Charles Fleming and Margaret Ballantyne, 28 Dec 1877, General Register Office, Scotland, Edinburgh. 34820.
- [S438] Birth Certificate Vol 1893 No 27, Elizabeth Taylor Fleming, (10 Jan 1923), Fleming Family History Archive.
- [S523] Charles Fleming, 3 April 1881 Census, Edinburgh, Barony, General Register Office, Scotland FHL Film 0203630, Vol 644-1, Enumeration District 3.
- [S548] Angus Fleming, 7 July 1861 Census, Edinburgh, Trinity College Edinburgh, General Register Office, Scotland.
- [S325] Birth Certificate Vol 1879 No 106, Charles Taylor Fleming, (17 January 1879), Scottish Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages.
- [S392] Nolan Rafferty, Letter from Nolan Rafferty to Bruce Fleming, Sydney: Fleming Family History Archive, 5 Nov 1983.
- [S522] Death Certificate, Elizabeth Fleming, National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh, Vol 1881 No 160.
- [S391] Charles Fleming, Diary aboard Eastern Monarch, Napier NZ: Manuscript, 1883.
- [S462] Death Certificate, Charles Taylor Fleming, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1937 No 9841.
- [S1183] Shipping Intelligence, The Capricornian, column 1, 19 Nov 1883, p19.