b. 10 February 1854, d. 17 August 1928
Charles Fleming, circa 1893
For a detailed biography of Charles Fleming click here.
For more information about the Fleming surname click here.
Charles Fleming was born on 10 February 1854 at Coatbridge, Parish of Old Monkland, in Glasgow.1,2,3,4,5 He was baptized on 2 April 1854 at Coatbridge, Parish of Old Monkland, in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland.1
Charles Fleming and Margaret Scott Ballantyne were married on 28 December 1877 at Dunlop Street, Tollcross, Shettleston, in Glasgow. They were married after banns were announced according to the rites of the United Presbyterian Church.6,7,2,3
Charles Fleming and Margaret Scott Ballantyne emigrated on 20 July 1883 from in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland. aboard "Eastern Monarch"8 He immigrated on 4 November 1883 to Townsville, Qld, Australia, at Magnetic Island. "Eastern Monarch"||8,9 He emigrated about 1904 from in Sydney, NSW, Australia, to New Zealand.7 He immigrated about 1904 to Auckland, New Zealand.7
- On 4 July 1861 Charles Fleming was a scholar at Trinity College Parish, 15 Ashley Court, in Edinburgh.5
- In 1871 Charles Fleming was a moulder at Tollcross in Glasgow.10
- On 28 December 1877 Charles Fleming was a moulder at Dunlop Street in Tollcross.2,9
- On 27 December 1878 Charles Fleming was an iron moulder (Journeyman) at 666 Springfield Road in Glasgow.6
- On 3 April 1881 Charles Fleming was an iron moulder at 690 Springfield Road in Glasgow.4
- On 12 November 1883 Charles Fleming was a was employed for a week in the foundry, at the greensand, as he recorded in his diary in Townsville.8
- On 22 November 1883 Charles Fleming sought employment at all the foundries but they were all slack in Brisbane.8
- On 23 November 1883 Charles Fleming sought employment at both of the foundries but they were also slack in Maryborough.8
- On 3 December 1883 Charles Fleming found employment at a foundry at the greensand in Maryborough.8
- In 1886 Charles Fleming was an iron moulder at Strathdon Terrace, Harris Street, in Balmain.11
- In 1887 Charles Fleming was an iron moulder at Birchgrove Road in Balmain.11
- In 1888 Charles Fleming was an iron moulder at River Street in Balmain.11
- In 1889 Charles Fleming was an iron moulder at River Street in Balmain.11
- In 1890 Charles Fleming was an iron moulder at River Street in Balmain.11
- On 29 November 1892 Charles Fleming was an iron moulder at 7 Rowntree Street in Balmain.3
- On 16 May 1900 Charles Fleming was an iron moulder.12
Charles Fleming appeared on the census of on 7 April 1861 in the household of Angus Fleming in Edinburgh, Scotland. The family of five plus one lodger lived in accommodation where only one room had a window.510 Charles Fleming lived at 690 Springfield Road in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland, on 12 February 1881.13 He appeared in the census on 3 April 1881 at 690 Springfield Road in Barony.4 He lived at 7 Rowntree Street in Balmain, NSW, in 1891.11 He lived at 7 Rowntree Street in Balmain, NSW, in 1903.11
Charles Fleming died on 17 August 1928 at age 74 in Thames. He was buried on 18 August 1928 at Shortland Cemetery in Thames.
- [S427] Baptismal Record: Fleming, Charles, No 4450, (2 Apr 1854), General Register Office, Scotland
- [S437] Marriage Certificate, Charles Fleming and Margaret Ballantyne, 28 Dec 1877, General Register Office, Scotland, Edinburgh. 34820.
- [S438] Birth Certificate Vol 1893 No 27, Elizabeth Taylor Fleming, (10 Jan 1923), Fleming Family History Archive.
- [S523] Charles Fleming, 3 April 1881 Census, Edinburgh, Barony, General Register Office, Scotland FHL Film 0203630, Vol 644-1, Enumeration District 3.
- [S548] Angus Fleming, 7 July 1861 Census, Edinburgh, Trinity College Edinburgh, General Register Office, Scotland.
- [S325] Birth Certificate Vol 1879 No 106, Charles Taylor Fleming, (17 January 1879), Scottish Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages.
- [S392] Nolan Rafferty, Letter from Nolan Rafferty to Bruce Fleming, Sydney: Fleming Family History Archive, 5 Nov 1983.
- [S391] Charles Fleming, Diary aboard Eastern Monarch, Napier NZ: Manuscript, 1883.
- [S462] Death Certificate, Charles Taylor Fleming, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1937 No 9841.
- [S521] Elizabeth Fleming, 2 April 1871 Census UK, Edinburgh, Tollcross, General Register Office, Scotland, 622/03014/000009.
- [S547] "Research Report: Charles Fleming in Sands Directories", 1866, Jim Fleming, Fleming Family History Archive, Sydney.
- [S285] Marriage Certificate, Charles Taylor Fleming and Ada Grace Flowerdew, 11 July 1900, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW. 1900/2742 (1033).
- [S522] Death Certificate, Elizabeth Fleming, National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh, Vol 1881 No 160.