b. 11 July 1831, d. before 18 July 1884
For a detailed biography of Angus Fleming click here.
For more information about the Fleming surname click here.
Angus Fleming was born on 11 July 1831 at Parish of Cambuslang in Glasgow.2,3,4,5,1 He was baptized on 7 August 1831 at Parish of Cambuslang in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland.2
Angus Fleming and Elizabeth Taylor were married on 7 December 1851 in Old Monkland.6,5 He and Elizabeth Taylor had marriage banns published on 7 December 1851 at Old Monkland in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland.7
- On 30 March 1851 Angus Fleming was a wagon driver at 143 North Square, Parish of Old Monkland, in Gartsherrie.3
- On 7 December 1851 Angus Fleming was a waggoner at Clyde Works at Parish of Old Monkland in Glasgow.7
- On 17 November 1852 Angus Fleming was a carter at Parish of Barony in Tollcross.8
- On 2 April 1854 Angus Fleming was a carter in Glasgow.9
- On 22 June 1859 Angus Fleming was a sawyer (journeyman) in Glasgow.10,11
- On 7 April 1861 Angus Fleming was a sawyer in Edinburgh.5
- On 22 April 1865 Angus Fleming was a wood sawyer.12,11
- On 28 December 1877 Angus Fleming was a sawyer.11,13
- On 12 February 1881 Angus Fleming was a wood sawyer.14,11
Angus Fleming appeared on the census of on 30 March 1851 in Gartsherrie, Scotland. He was one of two lodgers living with James Landles (aged 51, waggon driver) and his wife Janet (aged 61). The Landles' children Hendry (aged 12 or 19, wagon driver) and Jane (aged 14, scholar) were also resident. The other lodger was Alex Rennie, a 46 year old labourer.3 He lived at 109 Aitchieson Street in Airdrie, Lanark, Scotland, in 1856, miner.15 He lived at Coatbridge in Edinburgh Trinity College, Midlothian, Scotland, in 1861, Relation to Head of House: Head.9,1 He appeared on the census of on 7 April 1861 in Edinburgh, Scotland. The family of five plus one lodger lived in accommodation where only one room had a window.5 He lived at 308 Garngad Road in Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland, in 1895.16
Involvement in crime
Angus Fleming was deserted his wife on 9 February 1865 in Cambuslang, Lanark, Scotland. His family "became chargeable to the Parish of Cambuslang" which provided aid for more than tow years before bringing a charge of wife desertion against him in 1867.17 He was tried for wife desertion on 5 June 1867 in Cambuslang, Lanark, Scotland. He was found guilty and sentenced to a fine of five pounds or 30 days gaol. He served the time in gaol.17 He was tried for "giving his wife a severe thrashing last night" on 9 September 1868 in Cambuslang, Lanark, Scotland. He was sentenced to 60 days in prison.18
Angus Fleming died before 18 July 1884.14,11,19
- [S1007] Ancestry.com, 1861 Scotland Census, Parish: Edinburgh Trinity College; ED: 10; Page: 15; Line: 2; Roll: CSSCT1861_127
- [S549] Baptismal Record: Angus Fleming 1831, No 627/00 0002 137348, (11 Jul 1831), General Register Office, Scotland, New Register House Edinburgh
- [S550] James Landles, 30 Mar 1851 Census, Edinburgh, Gartsherrie, General Register Office, Scotland, 652/00 042/00 017.
- [S551] www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, Index: Scotland Births Fleming, Angus1800-1835, (Scotlandspeople website).
- [S548] Angus Fleming, 7 July 1861 Census, Edinburgh, Trinity College Edinburgh, General Register Office, Scotland.
- [S520] Baptismal Record: Fleming, Angus 1862, Vol 1862, No 811, (1862), General Register Office, Scotland
- [S425] LDS, Banns: Fleming - Taylor, General Register Office, Scotland, New Register House Edinburgh. Hereinafter cited as A18511207.
- [S426] Baptismal Record: Fleming, Angus, Vol 4449, (17 Nov 1852), General Register Office, Scotland
- [S427] Baptismal Record: Fleming, Charles, No 4450, (2 Apr 1854), General Register Office, Scotland
- [S324] Birth Certificate Vol 1859 No C119201/6035516 936, Jane Fleming, (8 July 1859), Scottish Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages.
- [S437] Marriage Certificate, Charles Fleming and Margaret Ballantyne, 28 Dec 1877, General Register Office, Scotland, Edinburgh. 34820.
- [S527] Birth Certificate Vol 1865 No 121 in Old Monkland, Matthew Taylor Fleming, (3 May 1865), General Register Office, Scotland.
- [S448] Death Certificate, Angus Fleming, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1887 No 481.
- [S522] Death Certificate, Elizabeth Fleming, National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh, Vol 1881 No 160.
- [S1151] Valuation Roll, (1856), Airdrie, ScotlandsPeople, Edinburgh
- [S1153] Valuation Roll, (1895), Glasgow, ScotlandsPeople, Edinburgh
- [S975] Wife Desertion, Glasgow Daily Herald, 6 Jun 1867.
- [S1048] Justice of Peace Court, Evening Citizen, top of column 2, 9 Sep 1868.
- [S526] Marriage Certificate, Angus Fleming and Martha Duncan, 18 Jul 1884, General Register Office, Scotland, Edinburgh. 210 at Bridgeton in 1884.
|Last Edited||14 November 2019|