b. 1807, d. 27 February 1884
George Waples Private in the 4th Kings Own, circa 1830. This is actually a portrait of one of the other men in his Regiment - Henry Watson - painted by Charles Dean.
For a detailed biography of George Waples click here
For more information about the Waples surname click here
George Waples was born in 1807 in Northamptonshire.1,2
He witnessed the baptism of Susannah Waples
on 19 August 1855. C of E||3,4
George Waples and Amelia Carlisle
were married on 28 September 1835 at St John's Church in Sydney. C of E||George was described as a Private, 4th Regiment. Presumably that is why the consent of Lt Colonel Breton is recorded. Amelia is described as Free, aged 21 years. Both signed with a mark (although the witnesses signed their names).5,6,1
George Waples immigrated on 13 November 1831 to Hobart, NSW, Australia. convict ship "Strathfieldsay"||George probably did not intend to immigrate when he arrived in Australia as a convict guard. In fact, he never left Australia after arriving here.5
- George Waples was employed as a on 1 June 1827 in London, England.
- He was employed by as in September 1835.6
- He was mlt discharge in 1837 in Sydney, NSW, Australia. Kings Owns 4th Regiment||purchased his freedom for £15||According to an article in the Illawarra Mercury on 28 December 1982, "When the regiment sailed for Madras, India, in 1837, George bought his freedom for £15."5
- He was employed by as in Bulli, NSW, Australia, in 1837.5
- He purchased his discharge from the 4th Regiment of Foot for 15 pounds in Sydney, NSW, Australia, on 31 July 1837.
George Waples witnessed the death of Amelia Carlisle
on 2 June 1876. from paralysis||She was survived by her husband, George, 5 sons and 4 daughters and was predeceased by 5 sons7,8,9
He signed a will on 20 July 1880 in Mount Kembla, NSW, Australia. ||Everything (chiefly his 50 acre farm) was left to his sons David and Joseph.10
He died on 27 February 1884 at age ~77 in Mount Kembla. paralysis||He was aged 77 years1,10
He had his estate probated on 9 April 1884 in Australia.10
There is a memorial to George Waples at St Lukes Anglican Church Cemetery in Brownsville, NSW, Australia. Follow this link
for information and images of his memorial.
- [S395] Death Certificate, George Waples, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1884 No 10220.
- [S994] "The Waples Roadblock", 2019, James Michael Fleming (Cammeray, NSW); Fleming Family History Archive, Sydney.
- [S284] Baptismal Record: Waples, Susannah, Vol 42, (19 August 1855), NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages
- [S418] Unknown, editor, Illawarra Pioneers Pre-1900 (PO Box 310 Wollongong NSW 2520: Illawarra Family History Group Inc, 1988)
- [S301] Selina Ann Waples, Illawarra Mercury, 28 December 1982.
- [S318] Marriage Certificate, George Waples and Amelia Carlisle, 28 September 1835, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW. Vol 19 No 1117.
- [S352] Death Certificate, Amelia Waples, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1876 1138.
- [S409] Thomas Gordon, Australian Biographical and Genealogical Record, p161.
- [S518] Carlisle William, Australian Biographical and Genealogical Record, p62.
- [S396] George Waples will (9 Apr 1884), Will: George Waples 9662 in 1884, Probate Office, NSW. Hereinafter cited as W: Waples, George.
Click on any citation number above to view details of the source document and, possibly, access an image of the source.