b. 29 January 1813, d. 2 June 1876
For a detailed biography of Amelia Carlisle click here
For more information about the Carlisle surname click here
Amelia Carlisle was born on 29 January 1813.1,2,3,4
She witnessed the baptism of Susannah Waples
on 19 August 1855. C of E||5,6
and Amelia Carlisle were married on 28 September 1835 at St John's Church in Sydney. C of E||George was described as a Private, 4th Regiment. Presumably that is why the consent of Lt Colonel Breton is recorded. Amelia is described as Free, aged 21 years. Both signed with a mark (although the witnesses signed their names).7,1,8
, and Elizabeth
traveled to on 12 April 1817. Aboard SS "Active". "(William Carlisle brought) his brother-in-law, Charles Gordon, employed as an agriculturist, accompanied by wives and families, back in April 1817." (D A Rae)
"The ranks of the women in New Zealand were swelling. Mr and Mrs Carlisle and Mr and Mrs Gordon came in 1817; the Butlers, the Kemps and the Puckeys arrived in 1819; the Shepherds in 1820; the Leighs in 1822; in 1823 Mr and Mrs Henry ..." (Simpson)9,10,11,12,4,13
- Amelia Carlisle was associated with George Waples overseer on Westmacott's farm in 1837 in Bulli, NSW, Australia.7
Amelia Carlisle died on 2 June 1876 at age 63. from paralysis||She was survived by her husband, George, 5 sons and 4 daughters and was predeceased by 5 sons2,14,4
She was buried on 3 June 1876 at St Lukes Church of England in Brownsville. 15
The DC refers to the burial place as "Episcopal Cemetery, Dapto".[:CIT]7,2
There is a memorial to Amelia Carlisle at St Lukes Anglican Church Cemetery in Brownsville, NSW, Australia. Follow this link
for information and images of her memorial.
- [S318] Marriage Certificate, George Waples and Amelia Carlisle, 28 September 1835, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW. Vol 19 No 1117.
- [S352] Death Certificate, Amelia Waples, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1876 1138.
- [S410] Mary Ann Gordon, Australian Biographical and Genealogical Record, p161.
- [S518] Carlisle William, Australian Biographical and Genealogical Record, p62.
- [S284] Baptismal Record: Waples, Susannah, Vol 42, (19 August 1855), NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages
- [S418] Unknown, editor, Illawarra Pioneers Pre-1900 (PO Box 310 Wollongong NSW 2520: Illawarra Family History Group Inc, 1988)
- [S301] Selina Ann Waples, Illawarra Mercury, 28 December 1982.
- [S395] Death Certificate, George Waples, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1884 No 10220.
- [S300] William Carlisle and Charles Gordon, Auckland-Waikato Historical Journal, September 1982, pp 29-31.
- [S309] Helen M Simpson, "Before Waitangi," in The Women of New Zealand. (Wellington: NZ Department of Internal Affairs, 1940). Hereinafter cited as "Before Waitangi."
- [S368] Committee Minutes, Society House Minutes June 8 1818, Church Missionary Society, FM4 1454, Archives Office of NSW, Kingswood. Hereinafter cited as Minutes: Church Missionary Soc.
- [S411] Gordon, Charles Moltson, Australian Biographical and Genealogical Record, p159.
- [S1268] Various family historians, L: Correspondence re Carlisle, Gordon, Sydney: Fleming Family History Archive, 2 Aug 2020.
- [S409] Thomas Gordon, Australian Biographical and Genealogical Record, p161.
Click on any citation number above to view details of the source document and, possibly, access an image of the source.