b. 1801, d. 9 January 1871
Catherine Grome nee Long circa 1870
Catherine Long was born in 1801.1
Married on 20 August 1827 in Sydney.2,3 James Grime, The Younger
, and Catherine Long were separated circa 1833 in Parramatta, New South Wales, Australian Colonies.4 William Carlow
and she were married on 13 January 1854 at Dandry Station in Coonabarabran.2,5,6
Catherine Long emigrated on 25 January 1823 from Cork, Ireland. The was transported aboard the convict ship Woodman7,3
She immigrated on 25 June 1823 to Sydney, New South Wales, Australian Colonies, at Port Jackson.7,3,8
She lived in Liverpool, New South Wales, Australian Colonies, in November 1825, as a convict assigned to GSW Lloyd.9
Involvement in crime
Catherine Long was convicted of larceny from a shop at the Spring Assizes in May 1822 in Cork, Ireland. She was sentenced to be transported for 7 years7,3
- On 8 February 1825 Catherine Long was a convict assigned to Captain Dick.10
Catherine Long died on 9 January 1871 at age ~70 in Coonabarabran.8
She was buried on 11 January 1871 at Dandry Station in Coonabarabran.8
She had her estate probated on 25 January 1871 at Dandry Station in Coonabarabran. Her beneficiary, David Matthews, was her son-in-law.11
- [S1290] James Grimes and Catherine Long, Convict Permission to Marry: 1826 Grime Long refused, (Kingswood: NSW Archives), 24 Oct 1826, Rev. Samuel Marsden. Refused.
- [S611] NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, Index to NSW Marriages, (Registry of BDM.)
- [S1385] Catherine Long, Certificate of Freedom, (NSW: Colonial Secretary), 3 Apr 1829, No 29/287. Certificate of Freedom register.
- [S530] "RR: The Founders by Rod Warnock", June 2005, Rod Warnock (Kilaben Bay NSW), to Jim Fleming (Darlington NSW); Fleming Family History Archive, Sydney.
- [S1391] Marriages, The Maitland Mercury, 25 Jan 1854.
- [S1404] Marriage Certificate, William Carlow and Catherine Long, 13 Jan 1854, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW. Vol 100 No 96.
- [S1382] James Grime Junior, Convict Indent 1823 NSW Woodman: Long, Catherine, (Sydney: NSW State Records), 25 Jan 1823, Woodman. Master: Henry Ford.
- [S1399] Death Certificate, Catherine Carlow nee Long, Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages, NSW, Vol 1871 No 3354.
- [S1384] Catherine Long, Convict Muster 1825 NSW: Long, Catherine, (Kingswood NSW: NSW State Archives), 1825. Convict assigned to GSW Lloyd at Liverpool.
- [S1389] Catherine Long, Convict Assignment 1825 NSW: Catherine Long, (Kingswood NSW: NSW State Archives), 1825, number 92. Sydney.
- [S1400] Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction, NSW Gazette, volume 35, 25 Jan 1871, number 631.